Soil & Terrain
- Britain's top mountaineer on the motivations of madness. By Liam Desroy.
- How the celebrated morel helped seed The Journal of Wild Culture. By Whitney Smith.
- On a desolate island in the northwestern Scotland, lessons in trying to intuit the past through marks on the landscape. By David Frankel.
- A new show at the National Gallery in London, Australian Impressionists, shows us what we've been missing. By Marilyn Mercer.
- "In a strange plot twist, one defunct crater has become the obsession of a man who is turning it into monumental art." By Michael Engelhard.